What to do in emergencies
Porirua City has a great team working in this area and there is comprehensive information on their website about planning for emergencies. We have extracted information of particular relevance for Plimmerton residents so you know what to do in different sorts of emergencies, what the signals are so you know what is happening, where to muster, how to plan with local information in mind and who the key people are in our area.
There are opportunities for you to be involved in the Red Cross flying squad initiative, learn first aid and be part of the civil defence team.
Don’t wait for the shake…read this and plan while you can!
- Disaster planning
- Earthquake preparedness
The Porirua City Council’s emergency management team and the New Zealand Red Cross are working together to boost the city’s capacity to respond to emergency events. Volunteers will learn skills that will make a difference in their communities at critical times, for example welfare, first aid, casualty handling, radio communications, vehicle handling etc. If you wish to volunteer and you are capable, compassionate and can think on your feet, contact Trevor Farmer email@example.com with Red Cross Response Team in the subject line or call 237 1430 or 0275 303 368.
These are your local civil defence centres in the Porirua City area:
- Pukerua Bay School – 89 Rawhiti Rd, Pukerua Bay
- Plimmerton School – School Rd, Plimmerton
- Pauatahanui School – Pauatahanui
- Discovery School – Pullen Lane, Whitby
- Papakowhai School – Spey Place, Papakowhai
- Tairangi School – Omapere St, Waitangirua
- Porirua City Council Depot – Prosser St
- Battle Hill Farm Forest Park, Paekakariki Hill Rd
- Titahi Bay Fire Station – Titahi Bay
For more information about civil defence check out www.civildefence.govt.nz