Māori history in this area dates from Kupe’s visit over 850 years ago. Ngāti Ira later held the territory until it was taken over by Ngāti Toa Rangatira in the 1820s, and known as Taupō. When the railway arrived in 1885 the area was named Plimmerton, after John Plimmer, a founding director of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company. It was advertised as “the great marine suburb of Wellington”. By 1896, about 50 sections had been sold and hundreds of day-trippers flocked here during the summer months. Over time cottages, holiday homes, boarding houses and shops were built forming Plimmerton village.