Welcome to the Taupō Plimmerton
Heritage Trail

This trail is flat except for a short rise to Te Rauparaha Reserve and the Motuhara Tramway and Tunnel. The pedestrian bridge over State Highway 1 also needs to be negotiated. The trail can be walked in approximately 2 hours excluding two sites, Taua Tapu Track and Taupō Wetland.

Both are about 2-3 kms away. The part of the Taua Tapu Track, which remains a walking track, continues for another 1.5 kms beyond the end of the road. It is steep and graded as a medium to challenging.

Somme House  Photo by Hannah Sutton, 2009. 
PCC Porirua Heritage Website
Waiting for the train at Plimmerton 1956
Photo Courtesy Allan Dodson
Photo courtesy Pataka Art + Museum, Porirua ref C_4_26
Cameron House operating as Karehana Boarding House in 1946 
Photo courtesy Hibbard
Navigation Ball with seagull at sunset.
Photo courtesy Allan Dodson
Recent photo of Tangi Moana 
Photo courtesy of the current owners
Plimmerton House, 1 Steyne Ave, 1922
         PATAKA Arts + Museum, Porirua
St Andrew’s Church – early days
PATAKA Arts + Museum
Prominent 2-storeyed house in centre of photo is Sokol in 1920s
PATAKA Arts + Museum  C-4-28
Staff outside Post Office building at Steyne Ave site 1923-1973
Photo courtesy Mary Casey
Mary Catherine Medley, View of Plimmerton 1895
National Library of New Zealand  Ref: E-379-015
Karehana Te Weta Whakataki beside Te Punga a Matahourua (Kupe’s anchor stone) at Parramatta
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa Ref MA_A.003495
View of urupā today – overlooking the sea
Sophie King, Taupō Pā Plimmerton Conservation Plan, 2015
Rangihaeata’s Pah, George French Angas, 1843
Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand
Tī kōuka (cabbage tree) approximate site of Te Rauparaha Reserve  C1904
PATAKA Arts + Museum, Porirua   Ref C-4-57
Central building is Erenora, 7 Steyne Ave, C 1898
Alistair Robb Collection, Porirua Public Library
Taupo Village, G F Angas, C1844
PATAKA Arts + Museum, Porirua
‘Porirua Harbour and Parramatta whaling station Novr 1843’, by Samuel C Brees, Chief Surveyor to the NZ Company, looking from Taua Tapu Track towards Taupō Kainga (now Plimmerton). 
Picture courtesy Alexander Turnbull Library, 
Ref 22802478
Boating Club opening day in the 1950s before the seawall was built. Army huts are converted to boatsheds. Seaweed is flying on the line.
Photo courtesy Mary Casey Collection
Plimmerton School and pupils about 1925. The building was extended to two classrooms in 1919.
Photo courtesy Pataka Art + Museum, Porirua (C_1B_2)
Fire at Steyne House (Erenora) 1923
Photo courtesy Bernie Comerford collection
One of two purpose built Ford fire engines in use in the 1950s
Photo courtesy R Millar & R Postlewaight,  Sand, Sea and Sirens –  
75 Years of Firefighting in Plimmerton 1934-2009
Tramway track running along the coast with Mana Island in the distance.
Photo Courtesy: Allan Dodson
Plan for closing the front of the pavilion in 1951-52
Courtesy: Bernie Comerford collection
© Copyright Plimmerton.nz 2016